1984 anti-Sikh riots: Protesters demand SC intervention
New Delhi: Protesting acquittal of Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, around 150 riot victims on Friday staged a march from Rajghat to Supreme Court but was prevented mid-way.
The march was stopped near Shaheed Park and four members were allowed to go to Supreme Court to submit their petition seeking action against officials and political leaders whom they claimed were involved in the riots.
"It has been long 29 years but we didn`t get justice. The government should answer how and where the last rites of 5,000 riot victims were done. Whether postmortem was conducted or not?" All India Sikh Conference president Gurcharan Singh Babbar said.
"AB Marwa, Additional Registrar to Chief Justice of India have accepted our petition. We appeal to court to accept it as a writ petition and take action against Sajjan Kumar and others," he said.
Kumar was acquitted of all charges by a Delhi court on April 30 in one of the three 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases, a verdict that evoked vociferous protests from victims` families, one of whom hurled a shoe at the judge.
District and Sessions Judge JR Aryan let off Kumar in the 29-year-old case in which he was accused of murder and of instigating a riotous mob that killed five Sikhs in Delhi`s cantonment area.
Five others - Balwan Khokkar, an ex-councillor, Mahender Yadav, an ex-MLA, Kishan Khokkar, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal - were convicted for their involvement in the riots that broke out after the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row