26/11 braveheart nanny to get Israeli citizenship
Mumbai: Nanny Sandra Samuel, who saved Baby Moshe from the clutches of terrorists during the November 26 terror attack in 2008, will be granted Israeli citizenship.
The official website of the Chabad House quoted Interior Minister Eli Yishai as saying that it has been decided to confer citizenship upon Samuel, an Indian national,
in recognition of her heroism.
He said the move was as "a humanitarian step."
Samuel (45), a widow and a mother of two sons, was working for Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and his wife Rivka, since their arrival here in 2003 and took care of Moshe since his birth.
On November 26, two terrorists entered the narrow lane where the Jewish centre -- Chabad House, also known as Nariman House, is situated in Colaba in south Mumbai, and the building turned in into a war-zone for the next three days.
Hearing the cries of baby Moshe, Sandra wrapped him in her arms and rescued him in a dramatic fashion along with handyman-cum-cook Qazi Zakir Hussain alias Jackie.
Terrorists killed Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg, Rivka and four others.
Shortly after the Jewish couple`s funeral, Sandra left for Israel along with Baby Moshe. Sandra looks after Moshe at his grandparents` home at Afula in Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi