26/11 control room had full Pak support: Chidambaram
New Delhi: At a time when probe is widening on key Mumbai terror attacks handler Abu Hamja, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday said that the 26/11 control room in Karachi had full support of Pakistan.
“The confession of Jundal, who played a key role in the 26/11 control room in Karrachi, has established beyond doubt that there was support of Pakistani state actors in the Mumbai terror attacks” Chidambaram said addressing a press conference here.
“Such a control room could not have been set up without some kind of state support”, he added.
The Home Minister termed Jundal`s arrest as an "important development" as far as the investigations in the 26/11 attacks are concerned.
"In fact many of the missing pieces of the 26/11 conspiracy are now known to us through interrogation of Abu Jundal. He was a key operative, he was assigned the key responsibility of putting the 10 terrorists to intensive training”, Chidambaram told reporters.
"Jundal was the key person who briefed the 10 persons including (Ajmal) Kasab and he had an important role in the control room," he said.
About the presence of others in the control room and whether Saeed was also there, Chidambaram said "Yes, others were present and we think one of them was Hafiz Saeed."
Taking a potshot at Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik’s statement that Abu Jundal is an Indian, Chidambaram said, "I agree with Rehman Malik that Jundal is an Indian and perhaps he was radicalised in India. But it is a fact that Jundal found a very safe haven in Pakistan. He went to Pakistan and trained the group which executed the Mumbai terror attacks”.
"Just as we admit the facts Pakistan too should admit the facts," he said.
Home Secretary RK Singh said Pakistan should admit that they have given to Jundal passport, two identity cards and that they claimed that he was a Pakistani.
The Home Minister said the real name of Abu Jundal is Syed Zabiuddin Ansari. He was given a passport by Pakistan in the name of Riyasat Ali.
The Home Minister dismissed reports of fight within security agencies and police forces of various states over Jundal`s custody.
“No one is fighting over Jundal. At present he is in the custody of Delhi Police. Investigation agencies and intelligence agencies have joined Delhi Police in interrogation. In due course of time he will also be made available to other agencies”.
Jundal, during his interrogations, gave a deep insight into the situation at `Karachi control room` monitoring the Mumbai attacks. He reportedly confessed his role in 26/11 and admitted that he was present in the LeT control room in Karachi and was giving direction to the 10 terrorists who carried out the strike.
Jundal reportedly told the investigative agencies that officials of ace Pakistani ace intelligence agency ISI ran the control room.
Jundal is being interrogated by Delhi Police and security agencies to ascertain all aspects of the conspiracy behind the 2008 Mumbai attacks that snuffed out the lives of 166 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!