26/11 martyr`s uncle critical after attempted suicide
New Delhi: K Mohanan, the paternal uncle of 26/11 martyr Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, was in a critical state Friday after immolating himself Thursday evening, doctors said.
"He is still critical. We are constantly keeping an eye on his position. He is on the ventilator and has 95 percent burn injuries," TS Sidhu, medical superintendent at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, said.
"It seems from his initial statements that he was unhappy over the way the victims of the Mumbai attacks were treated by the government. He was in a depressed state of mind," said a doctor from the burns and plastic ward of the hospital.
According to the police, Mohanan poured kerosene on his body and set himself afire outside Gate No.4 of Parliament House near Vijay Chowk at around 6 pm Thursday evening.
"People who were at the spot tried to douse the fire and informed the police after which Mohanan was rushed to the hospital," said a police officer, who did not wish to be identified.
In the suicide note written in Malayalam, Mohanan said that he was unhappy at the way the victims of the Mumbai attacks were being treated by the government. Mohanan is the younger brother of Sandeep`s father.
"He was also disturbed at the death of Sandeep. He wanted to feel the pain he might have suffered when he was shot at by the terrorists," added the officer.
Sandeep Unnikrishnan, who was in the National Security Guard, died in the assault on the Taj Hotel in Mumbai against terrorists in attack.
Police had recovered a train ticket and notebook from Mohanan`s possessions. "We think that he reached the capital on Jan 30," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal