2G: Anil Ambani to appear in court as witness Thursday
New Delhi: A Delhi court Wednesday asked Reliance Group chairman Anil Ambani to appear before it Thursday to depose as a prosecution witness in the 2G spectrum allocation case.
Central Bureau of Investigation Special Judge OP Saini dismissed the plea of Reliance Telecommunications Limited against the summoning of Anil Ambani and his wife Tina Ambani as prosecution witnesses and said the "examination of Anil Ambani as a witness would not cause any prejudice to the accused facing trial in the case".
The trial court had earlier postponed Anil Ambani`s examination.
The court said that it will hear the arguments Thursday on Tina Ambani`s plea seeking exemption from personal appearance.
The court had issued summons to Anil and Tina Ambani for recording their statements on Aug 22 and 23 respectively.
"The witness for tomorrow (Anil Ambani) has already been served and accommodation was granted to him earlier also when he was summoned for July 26. At that time also the accused (Reliance) has not stated that examination of these witnesses would cause prejudice to it," the judge said.
"I see no reason as to how any prejudice would be caused to the accused if these witness are examined now."
The judge also said that no such prayer for postponement has been made by the Ambanis themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region