2G spectrum scam: CBI Director appears before JPC
New Delhi: CBI Director A P Singh on Tuesday
appeared before the Joint Parliamentary Committee looking into
the 2G spectrum issue to brief it on the allocation and
pricing of telecom licences and spectrum during the period
from 1998 to 2009.
The Joint Parliamentary Committee examining the 2G
scam had sought to know from the CBI Director details of the
allocation of pricing of telecom licenses in this period.
At the last meeting of JPC on June 30, Comptroller and
Auditor General Vinod Rai had also briefed the panel on the
The CAG had then come in for some tough questioning on
its presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore to the exchequer in
2G spectrum allocation with some members questioning its
mandate of looking into a policy decision for arriving at the
The CAG, in a report to Parliament last year, had
pegged presumptive loss to the exchequer on 2G spectrum
allocation at Rs 1.76 lakh crore. The findings triggered a
political storm and subsequent events led to the resignation
of the then Telecom Minister A Raja.
Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal had dubbed "utterly
erroneous and without any basis" the estimated loss of Rs.
1.76 lakh crore, arrived at by the CAG on account of 2G
According to the CBI charge sheet in the 2G spectrum
allocation case, the loss to the exchequer is pegged at
Rs 30,984 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!