2G spectrum scam: CBI Director appears before JPC
New Delhi: CBI Director A P Singh on Tuesday
appeared before the Joint Parliamentary Committee looking into
the 2G spectrum issue to brief it on the allocation and
pricing of telecom licences and spectrum during the period
from 1998 to 2009.
The Joint Parliamentary Committee examining the 2G
scam had sought to know from the CBI Director details of the
allocation of pricing of telecom licenses in this period.
At the last meeting of JPC on June 30, Comptroller and
Auditor General Vinod Rai had also briefed the panel on the
The CAG had then come in for some tough questioning on
its presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore to the exchequer in
2G spectrum allocation with some members questioning its
mandate of looking into a policy decision for arriving at the
The CAG, in a report to Parliament last year, had
pegged presumptive loss to the exchequer on 2G spectrum
allocation at Rs 1.76 lakh crore. The findings triggered a
political storm and subsequent events led to the resignation
of the then Telecom Minister A Raja.
Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal had dubbed "utterly
erroneous and without any basis" the estimated loss of Rs.
1.76 lakh crore, arrived at by the CAG on account of 2G
According to the CBI charge sheet in the 2G spectrum
allocation case, the loss to the exchequer is pegged at
Rs 30,984 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read