30% increase in IGNOU enrollments, despite recession
Kochi: Despite recession, the Indira Gandhi
National Open University (IGNOU) has seen a 25-30 percent
increase in enrollments in its educational institutions
Vice-Chancellor, Dr V N Rajasekharan Pillai, said here on Monday.
"Because of the downturn, educational institutions all over
the world have seen an upsurge in educational activities. Due
to this, a large number of collaborations are coming to IGNOU,
which has seen a 25 percent to 30 percent increase in
enrollments", he told reporters here.
Stating that the IGNOU model was being adopted by many
colleges, he said they provide capabilities in India and
abroad and that at least 20 foreign universities are looking
at IGNOU for providing quality education.
India also needs high quality education and quality should
not be a scapegoat, he said.
Many corporates also do not want employees to go away and
make use of the opportunties in IGNOU. The university has
created a centre for corporate education and training and tied
up with serveral corporates, he said.
However, the fallout of recession was shortage of qualified
teachers as those qualified were getting more enquiries.
He stressed the need for flexible educational and training
opportunities and said over 28,000 students had enrolled for
various IGNOU programmes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30