400 police stations in Naxal-hit states cleared
New Delhi: With non-Congress chief ministers
opposing the proposed NCTC, the Home Ministry now seems to be
trying to reach out to them by releasing the first instalment
of Rs 120 crore for construction of 400 fortified police
stations, mostly in Naxal-hit areas of these states.
As part of a decision of the Cabinet Committee on
Security, the Home Ministry has identified 83 worst Naxal-hit
districts to construct or strengthen 400 fortified police
stations at a cost of Rs 2 crore each.
The Ministry has released Rs 120 crore -- Rs 30 lakh each
- as first supplementary grant for incurring expenditure on
these police stations located in nine Left-wing extremism
The states which will be benefited most are Bihar (85
police stations), Chhattisgarh (75), Jharkhand (75), Odisha
(70), West Bengal (18) and Madhya Pradesh (12). Bihar Chief
Minister Nitish Kumar, Chhattisgarh`s Raman Singh, Jharkhand`s
Arjun Munda, Odisha`s Naveen Patnaik, West Bengal`s Mamata
Banerjee and Madhya Pradesh`s Shivraj Singh Chouhan have come
out strongly against setting up of NCTC.
All these non-Congress chief ministers had complained
that the Central government was planning to set up the
anti-terror hub without any consultation with them.
Following their protests, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
and Home Minister P Chidambaram wrote separate letters to them
trying to allay their apprehensions.
The remaining of the 400 police stations, 40 will be
constructed in Andhra Pradesh, 15 in Uttar Pradesh and 10 in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- SSC CGL Official Notification 2017 expected to be released soon at ssc.nic.in