Aarushi case: SC to hear Nupur Talwar`s bail plea today
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday will hear a petition by Nupur Talwar seeking bail in the double murder of her daughter Aarushi and the family`s domestic help Hemraj in 2008.
The apex court had last month issued a notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) after senior counsel Mukul Rohatgi contended that Nupur Talwar had been in custody for the last three months and there was no reason for her continued incarceration.
Rohatgi told the bench of Justice AK Patnaik and Justice JS Khehar that Nupur Talwar had challenged the closure report filed by the CBI in the twin murders and this made it evident that she had no intention to sweep under the carpet anything relating to the crime.
The senior counsel told the court that Nupur Talwar`s passport was with the trial court, thus, she won`t run away.
Nupur Talwar has challenged the May 31 Allahabad High Court order rejecting her plea for bail. She was taken into custody April 30 and is lodged in Dasna jail in Ghaziabad district since then.
A CBI special court framed charges against the Aarushi`s parents and dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar in the double murder case.
A CBI court charged the Talwars under sections 302/34 (murder with common intention) and 201 (destruction of evidence with common intention) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
In addition, the court charged Rajesh Talwar under section 203 (giving false information in respect of an offence committed) of the IPC.
Aarushi, 14, was found murdered at her parents` Noida residence May 16, 2008. The body of the family`s domestic help Hemraj was found the next day on the terrace of the house.
The apex court would next hear the case Aug 6.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam