Aarushi case: SC to hear Nupur Talwar`s bail plea today
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday will hear a petition by Nupur Talwar seeking bail in the double murder of her daughter Aarushi and the family`s domestic help Hemraj in 2008.
The apex court had last month issued a notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) after senior counsel Mukul Rohatgi contended that Nupur Talwar had been in custody for the last three months and there was no reason for her continued incarceration.
Rohatgi told the bench of Justice AK Patnaik and Justice JS Khehar that Nupur Talwar had challenged the closure report filed by the CBI in the twin murders and this made it evident that she had no intention to sweep under the carpet anything relating to the crime.
The senior counsel told the court that Nupur Talwar`s passport was with the trial court, thus, she won`t run away.
Nupur Talwar has challenged the May 31 Allahabad High Court order rejecting her plea for bail. She was taken into custody April 30 and is lodged in Dasna jail in Ghaziabad district since then.
A CBI special court framed charges against the Aarushi`s parents and dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar in the double murder case.
A CBI court charged the Talwars under sections 302/34 (murder with common intention) and 201 (destruction of evidence with common intention) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
In addition, the court charged Rajesh Talwar under section 203 (giving false information in respect of an offence committed) of the IPC.
Aarushi, 14, was found murdered at her parents` Noida residence May 16, 2008. The body of the family`s domestic help Hemraj was found the next day on the terrace of the house.
The apex court would next hear the case Aug 6.
With IANS inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended