Advani slams dragging Vajpayee`s name in 2G scam
Belgaum/Bijapur: BJP leader LK Advani on Wednesday accused the UPA government of trying to drag the name of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in the 2G spectrum issue to "divert" the investigation and said it was an "irony" that his name had appeared in the draft JPC report.
Addressing election rallies in the second leg of his tour for the May 5 Karnataka assembly polls at Savadatti and Indi in north Karnataka, he said "it is an irony that Atalji’s name has appeared in the (Joint Parliamentary Committee draft) report".
He said it was a clear indication that the JPC chairman was "maligning Atalji and BJP`s name with vested interest" and termed it as a "political vendetta".
Alleging that the UPA government was involved in various scandals, he said the 2G scam was a big one and attempt to involve Vajpayee`s name was condemnable. He said BJP had decided to discuss it in Parliament.
Apparently seeking to pacify an angry BJP, JPC chief P C Chacko had dismissed reports that the panel has named Vajpayee in its draft report in the 2G scam. The panel has given a clean chit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
In his meeting at Savadatti in Belgaum district, Advani claimed that from Jawaharlal Nehru to Manmohan Singh, the best Prime Minister India had ever seen was Vajpayee.
He said NDA under the leadership of Vajpayee had given many welfare and infrastructure development schemes and there were no allegations of corruption.
Advani also said BJP never had and never would compromise on corruption. At Indi in Bijapur district, Advani said though Manmohan Singh was Prime Minister, he had no power. H D Deve Gowda, I K Gujral and Chandrashekhar were PMs for some time but they discharged full power, he said.
Advani claimed Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar had done good work and asked the electorate to strengthen his hands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand