AG replaces SG to ensure PM is properly represented: Moily
New Delhi: Government on Friday said it authorised Attorney General GE Vahanvati to appear for the Prime Minister in the Supreme Court in the 2G spectrum case was to
ensure that he was "properly represented".
"There is no change in government representation...the Solicitor General (Gopal Subramanium) will represent the Department of Telecommunications while (Additional Solicitor General) Haren Raval will represent the CBI as they are separate entities," Law Minister M Veerappa Moily told reporters here.
He said the Prime Minister was not given notice in the case earlier.
"Now (with the SC asking government to file an affidavit on PMO`s correspondence with Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy) it is a different case. Since the Solicitor General was present, he represented (the PM). Now we are making a pucca case," he explained.
Moily said since the SG was already representing the DoT, Vahanvati has been authorised to represent the Prime Minister.
To suggestions that government`s asking the AG to step in proved inefficiency on part of the SG, he said Gopal Subramanium was an "important person and brilliant lawyer...
you must not read between that."
Government today replaced the Solicitor General with the Attorney General to represent Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the Supreme Court in the 2G spectrum case in the wake of stinging observations from the bench.
The Supreme Court had yesterday asked the Prime Minister to file by Saturday an affidavit on "alleged inaction" in responding to a plea seeking sanction to prosecute former Telecom minister A Raja in the spectrum case, calling the matter "extremely serious."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey