Anganwadi workers stage stir to press for their demand
New Delhi: Thousands of Anganwadi workers
supported by CPI (M) today staged an agitation here demanding
regularisation of their services and enhancement of
remunerations in view of the "exorbitant" rise in prices.
Women agitators from 20 states across the country under
the aegis of All India Federation of Anganwadi Workers and
Helpers (AIFAWH) and Centre for Indian Trade Unions (CITU)
reached the Capital to stage a `Mahapadav` (grand sit in) in
this sizzling weather "till the government responds to their
"We will stay here, eat here and would decide our future
course of action only after seeing the response of the
government tomorrow," AIFAWH general secretary Hemalata said
while addressing the agitators.
Accusing the UPA government of being "apathetic" to the
demands of the anganwadi workers, AIFAWH demanded the
government to "recognise ICDS and Anganwadi workers and
helpers as Grade III and Grade IV government employees."
Expressing her party`s support to the "struggle" of
Anganwadi workers and helpers` both inside and outside
Parliament, CPI (M) leader Brinda Karat said the government in
its previous term had given a clear assurance of providing a
"lump sum amount" to Anganwadi workers but "its been four
years now and nothing has been done."
Questioning the government`s policy on the welfare and
empowerment of women, she said there was no social security
for Anganwadi workers, who served for 20-25 years and are now
on the verge of retirement.
Karat asked why the government was not sincere in the
case of Anganwadi workers.
"...whether Anaganwadi workers do not belong to India,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended