Anna`s crusade a big victory for democracy: Akhil
Guwahati: Akhil Gogoi, a key member of Team
Anna on Monday said the government`s inclusion of the key demands
of social activist Anna Hazare in Jan Lokpal Bill was a "big
victory" for democracy.
Gogoi, who arrived here after Hazare`s 12-day fast ended
yesterday, said the just-concluded crusade against corruption
was the "most successful, non-violent and democratic movement
the nation has witnessed since the freedom movement".
Addressing a meeting jointly organised here by Krishak
Mukti Sangram Samiti and Assam unit of India Against
Corruption (IAC), Gogoi thanked the people of Assam for their
support and cooperation in the fight against corruption.
"Even when I was with Anna at the Ramlila ground, I was
extremely distressed about the flood situation in Dhemaji
district. Despite the wide coverage given by media here, both
the state and central government failed to tackle the
situation satisfactorily," he remarked.
The Centre and state governments are aware of all the
latest problems and burning issues of Assam but reluctant to
address them, Gogoi alleged.
The IAC`s core committee discussed the 11-year fast by
Irom Sharmila against AFSPA, Assam`s flood problems and
negative impacts of big dams in Northeast, he pointed out.
The core committee has assured that it will soon address
the problems of Northeast and urged people to continue with
the struggle against big dams and corruption, Gogoi said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory