Ansari heads to Czech Republic, Croatia tomorrow
New Delhi: Vice President Hamid Ansari leaves on Sunday on a week-long visit to the Czech Republic and Croatia, two East European countries that are negotiating their way out of recession and are looking at closer economic ties with India.
Ansari arrives in Prague on Sunday evening to begin a three-day visit. He will meet Czech President Vaclav Klaus on Monday and discuss ways to expand political, economic and cultural cooperation between the two countries, official sources said.
With India competing for a rotating non-permanent seat in the UN Security Council for 2011-12, Ansari is set to discuss the UN reforms and seek Prague`s support for India`s bid for the coveted seat.
Two agreements on economic cooperation and social security are likely to be signed, the sources said.
Ansari, a former diplomat, will deliver a lecture on `Some aspects of global governance in the 21st century` in Prague Monday afternoon.
The Czech economy is expected to recover from the recession this year and is looking at attracting more investment from India, the second fastest growing economy in the world.
Ansari will also meet the Indian community at a reception. The Czech Republic is home to some 100-odd Indian families, comprising mainly businessmen and professionals.
Ansari heads to Croatian capital Zagreb on June 09 for a three-day visit.
He will hold wide-ranging discussions with Croatian President Ivo Josipovic on a wide-range of issues, including expanding bilateral economic ties and the UN reforms. Some agreements are expected to be signed, said the sources.
Croatia, which hopes to join the EU around 2012, suffered a major contraction of its economy last year. The country`s economy is expected to record a mild recovery from the recession this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'