Any move to make CAG multi-member body will be opposed: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday dubbed Union Minister V Narayanasamy`s remark on making CAG a multi-member body as "disturbing attempt" to reduce the authority of the constitutional body and said that any such move would be seriously opposed by the party inside and outside Parliament.
"BJP takes serious objection to this disturbing attempt by the government..... We seriously apprehend that this remark of the minister is not an off the cuff remark," BJP Chief Spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
He said that the UPA government has faced a lot of embarassment due to the reports of Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) pointing out anomalies in the 2G spectrum allocation, Commonwealth Games, Coalgate and Delhi airport privatisation.
"We would like to warn this government that any attempt to reduce the authority of CAG and compromise the constitutional integrity of the state institutions will be seriously opposed both inside and outside the Parliament," Prasad said.
He alleged that the UPA government "is one of the most corrupt governments ever in the country and this view has been confirmed by the extensive analysis of CAG on these scams."
Narayanasamy has said the government is considering a proposal to make CAG a multi-member body.
"It (Shunglu panel`s suggestion to make changes in CAG) is under active consideration. The government is actively considering it," Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office V Narayanasamy has told PTI in an interview.
The Minister was replying to a question about a suggestion by former Comptroller and Auditor General VK Shunglu that CAG be made a multi-member body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon