Apex court to decide on Tamil Nadu governments` freebies
Chennai: The Supreme Court Friday is expected to pronounce its judgment on the much-awaited case against freebies distributed by the previous DMK government and the current AIADMK government in Tamil Nadu, said the petitioner.
"The case is listed for Friday. I am confident of getting a positive verdict for India as a whole," city-based advocate S.Subramaniam Balaji, who filed the case, said.
The free colour TV scheme was implemented by the previous DMK government as a part of its poll promise in 2006 while its successor AIADMK government is implementing free mixers, grinders, fans and laptops for students and other freebies.
With the Lok Sabha elections slated for 2014 and upcoming assembly elections in some states this year the judgment is expected to be a landmark one preventing political parties from indulging in competitive populist poll promises, Balaji said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal