Apex court to decide on Tamil Nadu governments` freebies
Chennai: The Supreme Court Friday is expected to pronounce its judgment on the much-awaited case against freebies distributed by the previous DMK government and the current AIADMK government in Tamil Nadu, said the petitioner.
"The case is listed for Friday. I am confident of getting a positive verdict for India as a whole," city-based advocate S.Subramaniam Balaji, who filed the case, said.
The free colour TV scheme was implemented by the previous DMK government as a part of its poll promise in 2006 while its successor AIADMK government is implementing free mixers, grinders, fans and laptops for students and other freebies.
With the Lok Sabha elections slated for 2014 and upcoming assembly elections in some states this year the judgment is expected to be a landmark one preventing political parties from indulging in competitive populist poll promises, Balaji said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference