Arjun Munda wins Kharsawan bypoll
Kharswan: Jharkhand Chief Minister and BJP candidate Arjun Munda on Thursday won the Kharsawan Assembly bypoll defeating his nearest Jharkhand Vikas Morcha
(Prajatantric) opponent Dasrath Gagrai by over 17,000 votes.
The bypoll was necessitated as Munda has to enter the state Assembly within the mandatory six months period after becoming the Chief Minister on September 11 last year.
BJP sitting MLA Mangal Singh Soy had resigned two months ago to pave way for Munda, who will have to be elected to the state Assembly by March 11 to continue as CM.
Munda defeated Gagrai by over 17,000 votes, Returning Officer CK Singh said.
Besides Gagrai, five others, including Bahadur Oraon of CPI (ML) and four independents, were also in the fray. The polling took place on February 10.
Munda, a third time CM since 2003, will have to vacate his Jamshedpur Lok Sabha constituency, which he had won in the 2009 general elections on a BJP ticket.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate