As BJP, DMK move notices, Chacko says he used `sealed cover`
New Delhi: Facing a rap from the opposition over the leakage to the media of the JPC draft report on 2G allocation, PC Chacko, who chairs the parliamentary committee, Monday said he had urged members to treat the report as confidential.
"I don`t know about the notice... I had urged all members to keep it confidential. I had sent it to them in sealed covers," Chacko, a Congress member of the Lok Sabha, told a news agency.
According to parliament sources, BJP member Yashwant Sinha and DMK member TR Baalu gave breach of privilege notices against Chacko, and have been demanding his removal as chairman of the Joint Parliamentary Committee.
While the BJP is miffed that the draft report allegedly says the government incurred losses of over Rs 40,000 crore during the tenure of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the DMK is upset that its leader and former telecom minister A Raja has been blamed for faulty 2G spectrum allocation, as also pointed out by the official auditor, CAG.
"I cannot discuss the contents of the report... but Vajpayee is not named in it," Chacko said.
The leaked report had allegedly cleared both Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram of any wrongdoing, while laying the blame squarely on Raja.
Raja, in turn, has asserted that everything was done in consultation with the prime minister. The former telecom minister has said he wanted to depose before the panel, but was allowed to give only a written statement.
The joint parliamentary committee on 2G will meet April 25 to finalise the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation