Ashok Chawla to take charge as CCI chairman
New Delhi: The government is believed to
have approved the appointment of former finance secretary
Ashok Chawla as the new chairman of the Competition Commission
of India (CCI).
According to sources, the Appointments Committee of
Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Chawla as head
of the anti-trust body.
The other contenders for the post were Anurag Goel, a
member in the Commission, and Vijay Sharma, former secretary
in the environment and forests ministry.
When contacted, Chawla said he has not received any
formal communication yet. "It usually takes 2-3 days for ACC
orders to be notified," he said.
The CCI chairman post has been lying vacant for four
months now. The appointment assumes significance as after June
1, all high-value merger and acquisition (M&A) deals have
begun coming under the purview of the Commission.
A Gujarat-cadre IAS bureaucrat of 1973 batch, Chawla
retired as Finance Secretary on January 31. He was heading a
committee on allocation, pricing and utilisation of natural
resources till recently.
The commission (CCI) was established in 2003 to replace
the erstwhile Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices
Commission and Dhanendra Kumar was appointed as its first
chairman in February 2009. Kumar`s term ended on June 5 this
The commission draws its power from the Competition Act,
2002, to keep check on unfair practices including M&A deals
that abuse dominant position by market players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof