Ask Sri Lanka to devolve powers to Tamils: BJP
Chennai: Accusing UPA government of not
realising the "gravity of the situation" on the Lankan Tamils
issue, BJP today said India should immediately ask Colombo to
expedite resettlement of internally displaced Tamils and press
for devolution of powers as per the Indo-Sri Lanka accord.
Senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here
that the party was "disappointed" with External Affairs
Minister S M Krishna`s statement in Parliament yesterday that
the Centre would consider sending another team of
Parliamentarians to Sri Lanka to assess the relief work for
Tamils displaced in the war between the LTTE and the army.
"We call upon government to send an all-party
delegation immediately to visit the camps and meet the people
to know the situation there," Naidu said.
A team of MPs from Tamil Nadu had recently visited Sri
Lanka to assess the conditions of displaced Tamils.
Government should take up the issue of speedy
resettlement and follow up on the Indo-Sri Lanka Accord for
devolution of powers to ethnic groups, he said.
BJP favours a politically negotiated settlement within
the sovereignty and integrity of Sri Lanka. When the issue
comes up in Rajya Sabha again, BJP will "confront" the
government, he said.
On the Telangana issue, which has led to sporadic
violence in Andhra Pradesh, he blamed Congress for the
"present chaotic situation" and said it must clearly spell out
"The BJP will support a Bill (in favour of Telangana)
in Parliament," he said adding the Centre should come out with
a policy in the matter.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India