Ask Sri Lanka to devolve powers to Tamils: BJP
Chennai: Accusing UPA government of not
realising the "gravity of the situation" on the Lankan Tamils
issue, BJP today said India should immediately ask Colombo to
expedite resettlement of internally displaced Tamils and press
for devolution of powers as per the Indo-Sri Lanka accord.
Senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here
that the party was "disappointed" with External Affairs
Minister S M Krishna`s statement in Parliament yesterday that
the Centre would consider sending another team of
Parliamentarians to Sri Lanka to assess the relief work for
Tamils displaced in the war between the LTTE and the army.
"We call upon government to send an all-party
delegation immediately to visit the camps and meet the people
to know the situation there," Naidu said.
A team of MPs from Tamil Nadu had recently visited Sri
Lanka to assess the conditions of displaced Tamils.
Government should take up the issue of speedy
resettlement and follow up on the Indo-Sri Lanka Accord for
devolution of powers to ethnic groups, he said.
BJP favours a politically negotiated settlement within
the sovereignty and integrity of Sri Lanka. When the issue
comes up in Rajya Sabha again, BJP will "confront" the
government, he said.
On the Telangana issue, which has led to sporadic
violence in Andhra Pradesh, he blamed Congress for the
"present chaotic situation" and said it must clearly spell out
"The BJP will support a Bill (in favour of Telangana)
in Parliament," he said adding the Centre should come out with
a policy in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?