Ask Sri Lanka to devolve powers to Tamils: BJP
Chennai: Accusing UPA government of not
realising the "gravity of the situation" on the Lankan Tamils
issue, BJP today said India should immediately ask Colombo to
expedite resettlement of internally displaced Tamils and press
for devolution of powers as per the Indo-Sri Lanka accord.
Senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here
that the party was "disappointed" with External Affairs
Minister S M Krishna`s statement in Parliament yesterday that
the Centre would consider sending another team of
Parliamentarians to Sri Lanka to assess the relief work for
Tamils displaced in the war between the LTTE and the army.
"We call upon government to send an all-party
delegation immediately to visit the camps and meet the people
to know the situation there," Naidu said.
A team of MPs from Tamil Nadu had recently visited Sri
Lanka to assess the conditions of displaced Tamils.
Government should take up the issue of speedy
resettlement and follow up on the Indo-Sri Lanka Accord for
devolution of powers to ethnic groups, he said.
BJP favours a politically negotiated settlement within
the sovereignty and integrity of Sri Lanka. When the issue
comes up in Rajya Sabha again, BJP will "confront" the
government, he said.
On the Telangana issue, which has led to sporadic
violence in Andhra Pradesh, he blamed Congress for the
"present chaotic situation" and said it must clearly spell out
"The BJP will support a Bill (in favour of Telangana)
in Parliament," he said adding the Centre should come out with
a policy in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video