Bal Thackeray critical; President cancels Maharashtra trip
Mumbai: President Pranab Mukherjee has cancelled his two-day trip to Maharashtra in view of the ill health of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, official sources said on Thursday.
The President was scheduled to present the Jamnalal Bajaj Awards at a function in Mumbai on Thursday evening and also inaugurate the Sai Ashram at Shri Saibaba Temple at Shirdi, in Ahmednagar district, on Friday.
Asked why the President had cancelled his visit, a Rashtrapati Bhavan official told a news agency it was due to "Bal Thackeray`s ill health".
The 86-year-old Thackeray has been suffering from breathing problems.
Anxious crowds have gathered outside Thackeray`s residence Matoshri and his son, party executive president Uddhav Thackeray said the family had not lost hope.
Mumbai Police and other security agencies made tight security arrangements around Matoshri, in Bandra west.
Over 350 police personnel, plus the Rapid Action Force and other contingents, led by top officers, have deployed stringent security in the vicinity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble