Bal Thackeray critical; President cancels Maharashtra trip
Mumbai: President Pranab Mukherjee has cancelled his two-day trip to Maharashtra in view of the ill health of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, official sources said on Thursday.
The President was scheduled to present the Jamnalal Bajaj Awards at a function in Mumbai on Thursday evening and also inaugurate the Sai Ashram at Shri Saibaba Temple at Shirdi, in Ahmednagar district, on Friday.
Asked why the President had cancelled his visit, a Rashtrapati Bhavan official told a news agency it was due to "Bal Thackeray`s ill health".
The 86-year-old Thackeray has been suffering from breathing problems.
Anxious crowds have gathered outside Thackeray`s residence Matoshri and his son, party executive president Uddhav Thackeray said the family had not lost hope.
Mumbai Police and other security agencies made tight security arrangements around Matoshri, in Bandra west.
Over 350 police personnel, plus the Rapid Action Force and other contingents, led by top officers, have deployed stringent security in the vicinity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'