Bal Thackeray critical; President cancels Maharashtra trip
Mumbai: President Pranab Mukherjee has cancelled his two-day trip to Maharashtra in view of the ill health of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, official sources said on Thursday.
The President was scheduled to present the Jamnalal Bajaj Awards at a function in Mumbai on Thursday evening and also inaugurate the Sai Ashram at Shri Saibaba Temple at Shirdi, in Ahmednagar district, on Friday.
Asked why the President had cancelled his visit, a Rashtrapati Bhavan official told a news agency it was due to "Bal Thackeray`s ill health".
The 86-year-old Thackeray has been suffering from breathing problems.
Anxious crowds have gathered outside Thackeray`s residence Matoshri and his son, party executive president Uddhav Thackeray said the family had not lost hope.
Mumbai Police and other security agencies made tight security arrangements around Matoshri, in Bandra west.
Over 350 police personnel, plus the Rapid Action Force and other contingents, led by top officers, have deployed stringent security in the vicinity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal