Bangladesh asks India to hand over Mujib’s killers
New Delhi: Bangladesh has asked India to immediately track down and hand over the killers of that country`s independence architect Sheikh Mujibur Rahman who are suspected to be hiding in India.
The appeal was made during the recently-held Home Secretary-level talks between the two countries in Dhaka.
"Bangladesh Home Secretary (Mustaq Ahmed) once again urged for immediate tracking, arresting, and handing over the killers of the Father of the Nation, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Indian Home Secretary R K Singh assured that all possible assistance would be extended in this regard, said a joint statement issued here on Friday.
Risaldar Mosleuddin and Capt Majed are suspected, who were allegedly involved in the killing of Sheikh Mujib on the intervening night of August 14-15, 1975 at his Dhanmondi residence in Dhaka, to be hiding in India. Mosleuddin was believed to have fired on Mujib as he was climbing down the stairs from the first floor of his 32, Dhanmondi house.
Both sides agreed to extend cooperation for apprehension of wanted criminals and fugitives.
India and Bangladesh agreed to take immediate measures for repatriation of released prisoners and victims of human trafficking.
Though New Delhi asked Dhaka to hand over top ULFA leader Anup Chetia during the two-day meeting, there was no mention of it in the joint statement.
Both sides agreed to further intensify the activities of the different nodal points in different areas of cooperation such as human trafficking, drugs, INTERPOL, etc. They expressed satisfaction at the regular interaction of different bilateral mechanisms.
The Indian Home Secretary conveyed the appreciation of government of India to the government of Bangladesh for extending cooperation for addressing the security concerns of India, particularly in dealing with Indian insurgent groups.
"Both sides reiterated their commitment to act against the elements inimical to both countries," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’