Bangladesh asks India to hand over Mujib’s killers
New Delhi: Bangladesh has asked India to immediately track down and hand over the killers of that country`s independence architect Sheikh Mujibur Rahman who are suspected to be hiding in India.
The appeal was made during the recently-held Home Secretary-level talks between the two countries in Dhaka.
"Bangladesh Home Secretary (Mustaq Ahmed) once again urged for immediate tracking, arresting, and handing over the killers of the Father of the Nation, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Indian Home Secretary R K Singh assured that all possible assistance would be extended in this regard, said a joint statement issued here on Friday.
Risaldar Mosleuddin and Capt Majed are suspected, who were allegedly involved in the killing of Sheikh Mujib on the intervening night of August 14-15, 1975 at his Dhanmondi residence in Dhaka, to be hiding in India. Mosleuddin was believed to have fired on Mujib as he was climbing down the stairs from the first floor of his 32, Dhanmondi house.
Both sides agreed to extend cooperation for apprehension of wanted criminals and fugitives.
India and Bangladesh agreed to take immediate measures for repatriation of released prisoners and victims of human trafficking.
Though New Delhi asked Dhaka to hand over top ULFA leader Anup Chetia during the two-day meeting, there was no mention of it in the joint statement.
Both sides agreed to further intensify the activities of the different nodal points in different areas of cooperation such as human trafficking, drugs, INTERPOL, etc. They expressed satisfaction at the regular interaction of different bilateral mechanisms.
The Indian Home Secretary conveyed the appreciation of government of India to the government of Bangladesh for extending cooperation for addressing the security concerns of India, particularly in dealing with Indian insurgent groups.
"Both sides reiterated their commitment to act against the elements inimical to both countries," the statement said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata