Bhopal package announced by GoM a pittance: Jethmalani
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha MP and senior lawyer
Ram Jethmalani today questioned the reason behind reducing the
compensation claim for the Bhopal gas victims and said the new
package announced by the GoM was a "pittance".
"I want to know who decided that the claim of USD 3.3
billion should be reduced to half a billion. I ask how did you
(government) settle the USD 3.3 billion demand of compensation
to just USD 470 million," he said.
Jethmalani said when the Government decided to quantify
the claims of the victims, it should have arrived at the
figure after careful calculation and competent advice.
But the compensation package provided by Union Carbide
belied all expectations, he said, demanding action against the
individual who instructed reducing the claim.
"The truth is being hidden today. Nobody has the courage
to ask. Please investigate this thing. Who gave this
instruction. The person who gave this instruction ought to be
arrested," he said speaking at a function here.
He also criticised the new compensation package announced
by the Group of Ministers for the gas victims, saying it is a
"pittance" given the pain and agony of the victims.
The GoM had decided to give Rs 10 lakh as compensation to
the kin of those who died in the world`s worst-ever industrial
disaster on December 2-3, 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway