Bill in LS to protect rights of street vendors
New Delhi: A bill to protect the rights of street vendors and regulate street vending activities was introduced in the Lok Sabha today amid opposition uproar over coal block allocation.
The Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) Bill was introduced in the Lok Sabha by Minister of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Kumari Selja.
As per the provisions of the Bill, anyone over 14 years can register with the Town Vending Committee. The Committee will issue identity cards to vendors to carry out business in allotted vending zones.
The bill will also help the authorities to regulate hawking activities in public areas such as pavements and roads.
The Bill, pushed by Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council (NAC), is aimed at protecting livelihood rights and social security of street vendors and regulation of urban street vending in the country and ensuring uniformity in legal framework for street vending across states and UTs.
The measure also provides for setting up of vending zones for hawkers to sell their products with minimal restrictions and without fear of being fined by municipal authorities for vending in unauthorised areas.
The Bill seeks to empower local authorities to relocate street vendors if they cause nuisance or obstruct movement of general public after issuing a seven-day notice.
Every street vendor who fails to relocate or vacate the site allotted to him after the expiry of the notice period shall be liable to pay a daily penalty of up to Rs 500 as may be determined by the local authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read