BJP demands sacking of NCW members
New Delhi: Criticising the National Commission for Women (NCW) over its handling of Guwahati molestation case, BJP`s women wing today demanded an inquiry against all the members of the body.
BJP Mahila Morcha, which will stage a demonstration outside the NCW officer here tomorrow, alleged that the NCW probe has raised questions over the functioning of the body and they would press for removal of all members of the Commission.
"It is indeed shameful and surprising that NCW, the apex national level organisation constituted to protect and promote women`s interests, has grossly mishandled the entire incident," BJP national secretary Vani Tripathi told reporters.
Her comments came as a fact finding member Alka Lamba landed in a controversy after making the identity of the victim public, which is against Supreme Court guidelines.
Former Delhi Mayor and BJP Secretary Aarti Mehra said that Thursday`s protest will raise voice against insensitivity towards women and inability of the NCW to address the issues faced by the fairer sex.
"Alka Lamba, who has been removed from the Commission, should be removed from Congress itself," said Mehra.
She said that stricter laws should be passed to protect women and severe punishment should be given to offenders, adding that the Centre and the Delhi government should oversee strict implementation of laws.
Strongly condemning NCW`s irresponsible behaviour, BJP Mahila Morcha president Shikha Rai said, "Are women in our country safe? Do they have to take care of themselves? What is the law and order situation in Assam?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!