BJP demands sacking of NCW members
New Delhi: Criticising the National Commission for Women (NCW) over its handling of Guwahati molestation case, BJP`s women wing today demanded an inquiry against all the members of the body.
BJP Mahila Morcha, which will stage a demonstration outside the NCW officer here tomorrow, alleged that the NCW probe has raised questions over the functioning of the body and they would press for removal of all members of the Commission.
"It is indeed shameful and surprising that NCW, the apex national level organisation constituted to protect and promote women`s interests, has grossly mishandled the entire incident," BJP national secretary Vani Tripathi told reporters.
Her comments came as a fact finding member Alka Lamba landed in a controversy after making the identity of the victim public, which is against Supreme Court guidelines.
Former Delhi Mayor and BJP Secretary Aarti Mehra said that Thursday`s protest will raise voice against insensitivity towards women and inability of the NCW to address the issues faced by the fairer sex.
"Alka Lamba, who has been removed from the Commission, should be removed from Congress itself," said Mehra.
She said that stricter laws should be passed to protect women and severe punishment should be given to offenders, adding that the Centre and the Delhi government should oversee strict implementation of laws.
Strongly condemning NCW`s irresponsible behaviour, BJP Mahila Morcha president Shikha Rai said, "Are women in our country safe? Do they have to take care of themselves? What is the law and order situation in Assam?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31