BJP for PM`s resignation in coal block scam, says files not given to CBI
New Delhi: BJP on Monday raked up in Rajya Sabha the coal block allocation scam and demanded resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, while alleging that crucial files were not being handed over to CBI for probe.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Prakash Javadekar (BJP) said the Prime Minister should resign as it has been proved that there was no selection criteria for allotment of coal blocks during 2006-09 when he also held coal portfolio.
He said this government is identified by scams, be it coal, 2G spectrum allocation or chopper scam.
"The coal scam pertains to 1700 crore tonne coal worth Rs 51 lakh crore which was allotted to 140 private companies for free. The government even did not ask for providing cheap electricity in return for allotment. While Budget deficit is on the increase, mines were allotted without auction," he said.
Javadekar said there was no selection or rejection criteria for allotment which is clear from an affidavit filed by the Centre in this regard.
"The Prime Minister was in charge of Coal Ministry during 2006-09 and he has no right to continue in the post. He should tender his resignation," the BJP member said as many BJP members associated themselves with the demand.
Ravi Shankar Prasad (BJP) said the CBI investigating into the scam is being denied access to important files pertaining to the case. "The government must satisfy the House that CBI is being given all the files and documents in the coal scam for a fair investigation," he said.
"CBI should be given all documents and files relating to the coal scam and I want this assurance," Prasad said.
He said the Supreme Court has also made it clear that CBI would not share information with the government in this case.
In a status report filed by CBI in the scam, the agency said the coal block allocation during 2006-09 was done without verifying the credentials of companies which allegedly misrepresented facts about themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister