BJP in dilemma on naming Modi as campaign chief
Panjim: The BJP was in a dilemma on Saturday over anointing Narendra Modi as campaign committee chief for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections in the absence of patriarch LK Advani and other senior leaders, who have not turned up for the ongoing National Executive meeting here as they are said to be opposed to such a move.
Ill health was cited as the reason for Advani`s decision to keep away from the two-day meeting of the National Executive that began today with leaders clamouring for Modi`s elevation as campaign head for the elections.
Party spokesman Prakash Javadekar had a difficult time when newspersons plied him with questions on the absence of Advani and other leaders and reservations of some other leaders over the proposal to elevate Modi.
"Wait till tomorrow....In BJP we don`t take decisions without consensus at the top level," he told the media when asked whether a decision is expected to be taken by tomorrow when the Executive meeting would conclude.
Advani not attending the Executive meeting is perhaps the first time in the party`s history that he has kept away from crucial deliberations.
Party leaders sought to play down the absence saying nothing much should be read into it or as if there were serious differences at the top level.
However, sources said there is a possibility of senior leader Sushma Swaraj, considered close to Advani, and others raising objections to announcement about Modi`s role in the absence of Advani.
The RSS is now said to be of the view that the party should go ahead with the announcement without further delay.
Leaders like Uma Bharti, Jaswant Singh, Yashwant Sinha, Shatrughan Sinha and Yogi Adityananth, also considered close to Advani, are also not attending the meeting.
Yashwant Sinha said in Delhi he is in good health. There was no no "NaMonia" affecting him but not going to Goa could be due to some other reasons, he said.
Soon after the two-day conclave kicked off, the party gave signals that there could be some decision by tomorrow with BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar saying the participants will go back "with new energy, new confidence and new enthusiasm".
However, he was evasive when asked repeatedly whether this statement meant that a bigger role for Modi will be announced.
"Wait till tomorrow," he kept saying.
Another leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, who is also the vice president, said the party is going to make a "major announcement" in Goa that will strengthen the organisation and project it as an alternative to the UPA government.
He was responding to a question on whether Modi will be appointed the campaign committee head at the conclave.
Regarding absence of other members like Uma Bharati and Yashwant Sinha, he said they must have informed the party president.
"There is nothing like whip in the party national executive which can force the members to come," he commented.
Asked whether a big decision can be taken without Advani`s presence, Javadekar said the senior leader had conveyed his "blessings" for the meet as he was unable to attend due to ill-health.
At the same time, he said, "No decision is taken in our party without everybody`s consent."
Sources said the party is keen to make the announcement about Modi at the National Executive and the RSS has given its go-ahead to it.
"Whether Advani is there at the meeting or not, the announcement about Modi is likely," at least two senior party leaders said. Insisting that Advani was "really unwell", Javadekar said that party president Rajnath Singh even talked to the senior leader`s doctors.
After that he advised Advani to take rest even though the latter was keen on attending at least on the second day.
To a volley of questions on Advani, he said the senior leader does not usually fall ill but this time "the changing weather has affected him”.
He noted that in the last 50 years, this was the first time that Advani has not attended such a meeting.
Javadekar said though Advani was keen on attending the national conclave at least on the last day, Singh advised him not to do so due to his ill-health and the opinion of doctors that he should take rest.
"Our party president said you take rest. We will come to meet you," he added.
Singh had called Advani today to enquire about his health. He advised Advani not to strain himself, BJP leaders said.
The BJP denied reports that Singh is in touch with NDA allies like JDU to discuss the appointment of Modi as head of the campaign coordination committee. "JDU has already said this is an internal matter of the BJP," Javadekar said.
The party insisted there were no factions within the organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India