BJP may not vote on women`s quota bill if there is no debate
New Delhi: In the wake of frequent
disruptions in Rajya Sabha over Women`s Reservation Bill, BJP
on Monday criticised the government for "not having a strategy"
for its passage and indicated that it will not vote on the
measure if it is held without a debate.
"The government should have a roadmap and strategy for
passing such an important bill. We are not in favour of
passing such a vital bill without a discussion. It (a
discussion) is a requirement for a constitutional amendment as
the basic structure of the Constitution will change," Deputy
Leader of BJP in Rajya Sabha SS Ahluwalia said.
He maintained that unlike an ordinary legislation, a
constitutional amendment requires discussion and division of
BJP sources insisted that passing such an important bill
without any discussion in a way dents its legitimacy, even
though the numbers are overwhelmingly in favour of the bill
with the Left parties and the Congress supporting it.
The main opposition also sought to put the blame for the
pandemonium in the Upper House to lack of strategy on part of
the UPA coalition and its attempt to take "all the credit" for
passing the important legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- CM Mehbooba Mufti favours abrogation of AFSPA from parts of J&K; says if successful it can be revoked in entirety
- EPFO likely to raise equity investment to 10%
- West Indies vs India: Statistical highlights — Records for Saha, pace pair Shami and Yadav
- West Indies vs India, 1st Test: 5-star Ashwin dominates hosts on Day 4
- Televangelist Zakir Naik's aides make startling revelations, it will shock you -- Read