BJP meets Prez on special Parliament session
New Delhi: Accusing the UPA government of attacking civil liberties, a delegation of BJP-led NDA met
President Pratibha Patil to demand convening of a special
session of Parliament to discuss the issue of black money and
police action against Baba Ramdev and his supporters.
A delegation of NDA leaders led by BJP Parliamentary
Party Chairman L K Advani met the President and handed over a
memorandum demanding immediate convening of a special
session of Parliament and passage of a resolution declaring
the ill-gotten money stashed away abroad as national asset.
The memorandum said in the special session, the
opposition wants to "compel" the government to explain its
"brutal action against peaceful protesters and apologise for
this attack on civil liberties and democratic rights".
It said the opposition also favoured passage of a
resolution declaring all Indian money stashed away in foreign
banks as a national asset.
A similar demand was made by Baba Ramdev during his
A Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson said, "The President
met the NDA delegation led by L K Advani. Advani requested the
President to summon a special session of Parliament to explain
the action taken against protesters or civil society activists
and to discuss issues related to corruption and black money".
The President gave them a patient hearing and assured
the delegation that the memorandum will be examined and sent
to the government for appropriate action.
"The President reminded that receiving a delegation and
memorandum have never been a mere formality and that
appropriate follow up action has always been taken," the
BJP, whose top leaders are holding a satyagraha at
Rajghat here to protest the crackdown on Ramdev and his
supporters, accused the government of "shielding and
protecting" the corrupt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!