BJP nominates Smriti Irani for RS from Gujarat
New Delhi: Television-actor turned politician Smriti Irani was on Saturday chosen by the BJP as its candidate from Gujarat for the Rajya Sabha biennial elections.
Irani, who shot to fame with her role in a family soap opera, was chosen by the BJP Central Election Committee here today. She is the chairperson of the party`s women`s wing,
Bhartiya Mahila Morcha.
The 35-year-old actor has pipped BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman to the post. Their names were doing the rounds for the past few weeks for BJP`s share of seats from
Gujarat to the Council of States.
Party sources said Sitharaman may be accomodated in the Rajya Sabha in the near future from some other state.
The other BJP candidate chosen for the Rajya Sabha from the state is Dilipbhai Pandya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan