BJP nominates Smriti Irani for RS from Gujarat
New Delhi: Television-actor turned politician Smriti Irani was on Saturday chosen by the BJP as its candidate from Gujarat for the Rajya Sabha biennial elections.
Irani, who shot to fame with her role in a family soap opera, was chosen by the BJP Central Election Committee here today. She is the chairperson of the party`s women`s wing,
Bhartiya Mahila Morcha.
The 35-year-old actor has pipped BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman to the post. Their names were doing the rounds for the past few weeks for BJP`s share of seats from
Gujarat to the Council of States.
Party sources said Sitharaman may be accomodated in the Rajya Sabha in the near future from some other state.
The other BJP candidate chosen for the Rajya Sabha from the state is Dilipbhai Pandya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says