BJP set for `Run for Unity` on Sunday
Jaipur: BJP is all set for the `Run for Unity` marathon to be held on Sunday to pay tributes to Iron Man Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel on his 63rd death anniversary here.
The run, which will be organised simultaneously in various places across the country, will likely be flagged off here by Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje.
"It will be a record-setting event (not necessarily in the state) in the presence of representatives from Guinness Book of Records," said ace Olympic medal winner shooter and BJP leader Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore who is supervising the arrangements for the run.
"We have received confirmation from 32 districts out of 33 in the state. In the state capital, above 10,000 people will run, whereas the number of participants is expected to be around 2,500 in other districts," Rathore told PTI today.
"The event is being organised from a non-political platform and we have invited all citizens. It will be a grand event and not restricted to a marathon only.
There will be performances of artistes in the 2-km run which will be flagged off at Amar Jawan Jyoti," he said.
Rathore claimed close to five million people in the country have done their registrations so far and it will be a record in terms of number of participants.
He informed that representatives of Guinness Book of World Records will witness the event tomorrow.
The run is a show for support for a giant statue of the first Home Minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel to be built in Gujarat, a dream project of BJP prime ministerial candidate and Gujarat CM Narendra Modi.
Modi is scheduled to flag off the run at Vadodara in Gujarat at 8 AM tomorrow and it will be held simultaneously at more one thousand locations across the country.
In Kanpur, the march will start at 10 AM from Brijendra Swaroop Park, pass through Arya Nagar and Swaroop Nagar and return to the park, according to a statement issued by the state BJP.
The party expects more than 5000 people to participate in the march. Invitations have been sent to several students of schools and colleges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued