BJP slams UPA for delay in Lokpal Bill
New Delhi: BJP on Friday targeted UPA over delay in bringing Lokpal Bill before the Rajya Sabha as the Winter Session is inching towards its end and demanded a reply from government, which remained non-committal on a timeline.
"The report of the Select Committee (of Rajya Sabha) has come. It is being studied. We will bring it as soon as possible," was the brief response of Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla as BJP leader Ravishankar Prasad demanded his response on the issue.
Raising it in the noon, Prasad said that since only 3-4 days are now left for the session to conclude, Government should tell when it planned to bring the Bill before the Rajya Sabha as the Select Committee of the Upper House to which it was referred has already finalised its recommendations.
Lok Sabha had passed the Lokpal Bill during the Winter Session last year itself with amendments by voice vote with the Left parties, SP and BSP walking out in protest before the voting. This has been one of the most hotly debated bills both inside and outside Parliament in recent times.
The bill, however, could not be passed in the Rajya Sabha in view of sharp divide over some of its provisions including on creation Lokayuktas in states. It was referred to a Select Committee, whose recommendations were tabled in the House last month. The panel recommended among other things delinking of creation of Lokayuktas in states from the central bill.
As BJP members rose to target the government over the issue, Shukla retorted, "We had got it passed in the Lok Sabha. It is you, who obstructed it here (in Rajya Sabha).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog