BJP terms SIT clean chit to Modi as `big relief`
New Delhi: Terming as a "big relief" the SIT
clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the 2002
Gulbarga Society case, BJP today said ten years of
vilification against its leader should stop now.
"No evidence against Narendra Modi says the SIT appointed
by the Supreme Court. A big relief for us. Ten years of
vilification campaign must stop," Leader of Opposition in Lok
Sabha Sushma Swaraj said on Twitter.
BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad that though the
riots and deaths in Gujarat were unfortunate, Ahsan Jafri`s
wife Zakia`s plea that Modi too should be prosecuted has been
refuted by the Special Investigation Team (SIT).
The BJP maintained that the riots could not be the bogey
for targeting Modi.
Prasad emphasised that the SIT was appointed by the
Supreme Court which had also monitored its investigation into
the Gulbarga Society case from time to time.
"If media reports that the SIT found no prosecutable
evidence against Modi are true, then we are very relieved as
an international and national campaign against Modi to somehow
frame him for the Gujarat riots was on for the last ten
years," Prasad said.
"Investigation cannot be continued on manufactured
evidence," he said.
The BJP also said no riots had taken place in Gujarat
in the last ten years and development in the state under Modi
was unprecedented. Its growth story was being discussed
globally, Prasad claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing