BJP to move privilege motion against PM in LS on Tuesday
New Delhi: BJP Monday said it would move a
Privilege Motion against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Lok
Sabha tomorrow for "misleading" the House by claiming MPs were
not bribed during the July 2008 trust vote even though the
Parliamentary probe committee said that money was paid.
"BJP will move a Privilege Motion against the Prime
Minister tomorrow in the Lok Sabha for misleading the House on
the July 2008 trust vote. He (PM) said in the House last week
that no bribe was paid while the Kishore Chandra Deo committee
has clearly stated that bribe was paid," party spokesperson
Shahnawaz Hussain said.
Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj is
likely to move the Privilege Motion.
Incidentally, as a counter to this, the ruling Congress
has declared it will move a Privilege Motion against Swaraj
for allegedly defying Speaker Meira Kumar last week by trying
to seek clarifications from the Prime Minister after his
statement on the revelations made by WikiLeaks on the
As per Parliament rules, clarifications cannot be sought
from a Minister or the Prime Minister in the Lok Sabha after
he/she makes a statement on the demand of the opposition. This
provision is there only in the Rajya Sabha.
BJP-led NDA will also demand a discussion in the Lok
Sabha under Rule 193 (which does not entail voting).
"Sushma Swaraj and Yashwant Sinha from the BJP and
Sharad Yadav from JD(U) will demand discussion under Rule 193.
If the government wants Lok Sabha to run, it would agree as
soon as the House meets for the day," Hussain said.
Since the Question Hour has been suspended for the
remaining period of the ongoing budget session, NDA wants the
discussion to start at 11 AM.
"The Leaders of Opposition in both the Houses were not
allowed to speak after the Prime Minister made his statement.
Hence we are making the demand for a debate," Hussain said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Rahul Gandhi visits ailing Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS
- Anybody can play Sangeeta Bijlani's role but not Naureen's: Prachi Desai
- Coal scam: Rungtas move HC against conviction, CBI reply sought
- Riteish Deshmukh has a new name for Tiger Shroff
- WATCH: Urvashi Rautela's sizzling dance with Dwayne Bravo at a party!