BJP to raise with Prez issue of crime against women
New Delhi: Slamming the government for turning down its suggestions of convening a special Parliament session and an all-party meet in the wake of protests on gangrape incident, BJP today said it will raise the issue of crimes aganst women with President Pranab Mukherjee tomorrow.
The principal opposition held a meeting of its Core Group and general secretaries here today to discuss the "government`s attitude" in the wake of the gang-rape of a 23-year old woman in Delhi and the huge protests which have followed the incident and decided that its delegation will meet the President.
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said it is regrettable that government "does not want to talk" to the Opposition or the protesters. She condemned the police action against the students who were agitating on the issue.
"Since the government has refused to call a special session of Parliament to pass stringent laws to punish those committing crimes against women and also to hold an all-party meeting, we have sought time from President Pranab Mukherjee tomorrow to discuss the issue," she said.
The BJP leader lamented that police used tear gas and batons against the protesters, including women.
"Yesterday women were lathicharged ruthlessly by male police personnel. 80 student protesters were admitted to Ram Manohar Lohia hospital," Swaraj said.
She said that the agitation has spread across the country. "If government does not take action, public anger will increase further. Everyday the newspapers are full of crimes against women. This is accumulated anger," Swaraj said.
The BJP leader said that while her party had raised the issues of growing atrocities against women in Parliament recently, there was no response from the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Yuvraj Singh: Onus on Sunrisers Hyderabad's all-rounder to guide Warner & Co to IPL final vs RCB
- Moved on after Twitter-spat with Irani: Priyanka Chaturvedi
- Speculation abounds over new Taliban chief`s leaked photo
- Watch video: This is just not the way this cat's humans expected it to behave on seeing a rat!
- There are 'no good or bad terrorists': Pranab Mukherjee tells Xi Jinping