BJP welcomes SC verdict on convicted lawmakers
New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday welcomed the Supreme Court verdict that convicted lawmakers should be disqualified from contesting even if they have filed an appeal and said government should carry out electoral reforms expeditiously and on a priority basis.
"The process of electoral reforms should be expedited in the light of this verdict. Government should do it on a priority basis," BJP vice president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
However, the party maintained that it has not studied the Supreme Court judgement in detail and would come up with a structured response later.
Deputy Leader of BJP in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad said serious questions having wide ramifications on the issue have been raised in the past.
"BJP always welcomes any step aimed at purifying and strengthening the political system," Prasad said.
The Supreme Court struck down as ultra vires a provision of the RPA which protects convicted lawmakers against disqualification on the ground of pendency of appeal against their conviction in higher courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state