Cabinet okays separate development board for Hyderabad-Karnataka region
New Delhi: A separate development board for the Hyderabad-Karnataka region of Karnataka, which was granted special status recently, was approved on Tuesday by the Union Cabinet, sources said.
Six backward districts of North Karnataka - Gulbarga, Yadgir, Raichur, Bidar, Koppal and Bellary fall in the region.
The Constitution Amendment Bill, passed by Parliament last year provides for establishment of a separate Development Board and equitable allocation of funds for development of the region.
Besides, it provides quota in public employment through constitution of local cadres and reservation in education and vocational training institutions for those who belong to the region by birth or by domicile.
Newly-added Article 371-J of the Constitution grants special status to six backward districts in Hyderabad- Karnataka region, with provision for reservation in education and jobs for locals.
Under the new Article, the President is empowered to entrust the state Governor to establish a separate board to ensure equitable allocation of funds in the state`s budget to meet the development needs of the region, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das