Cabinet okays separate development board for Hyderabad-Karnataka region
New Delhi: A separate development board for the Hyderabad-Karnataka region of Karnataka, which was granted special status recently, was approved on Tuesday by the Union Cabinet, sources said.
Six backward districts of North Karnataka - Gulbarga, Yadgir, Raichur, Bidar, Koppal and Bellary fall in the region.
The Constitution Amendment Bill, passed by Parliament last year provides for establishment of a separate Development Board and equitable allocation of funds for development of the region.
Besides, it provides quota in public employment through constitution of local cadres and reservation in education and vocational training institutions for those who belong to the region by birth or by domicile.
Newly-added Article 371-J of the Constitution grants special status to six backward districts in Hyderabad- Karnataka region, with provision for reservation in education and jobs for locals.
Under the new Article, the President is empowered to entrust the state Governor to establish a separate board to ensure equitable allocation of funds in the state`s budget to meet the development needs of the region, the sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living