Can`t be forced to undergo DNA test: Tiwari to HC
New Delhi: Veteran Congress leader N D
Tiwari, facing paternity suit of a man claiming to be his
biological son, Thursday filed a `personal affidavit` before
the Delhi High Court saying no person can be compelled to give
blood samples for DNA test against his will.
"At this age of mine and unblemished public record for
approximately 70 years to this nation I rely on Supreme Court
judgments and feel protected against any compulsion for the
DNA test," 87-year-old Tiwari said in his affidavit.
The Congress leader has cited various apex court
judgments to justify his stand of not giving blood samples for
the DNA test.
Justice Geeta Mittal is likely to hear today at 2 pm
the plea of Rohit Shekhar, who has sought contempt
prosecution of Tiwari for defying court order asking him to
give his blood samples.
Tiwari was on July 11 asked by the High Court to file
a `personal affidavit` explaining his refusal to undergo DNA
test and undertaking that that he was "voluntarily" refusing
to undergo DNA test. The court said it would not allow him
to take a ground at a later stage that his response was based
on "legal advice".
Justice Mittal had also issued a notice to Tiwari on
an application of 31-year-old Shekhar seeking prosecution
of Tiwari for "contempt" due to his failure to deposit a cost
of Rs 75,000 imposed on him on December 23 last year.
Tiwari`s plea that he was a freedom fighter and has
served the nation for last 70 years and hence be not forced to
give his blood sample also came under court`s criticism.
"The fact that you were a freedom fighter does not
give you (Tiwari) a license to flout the court orders like
this," the court had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Sizzling Mallika Sherawat does head-stand like a pro!- WATCH
- Separatists leaders Geelani, Mirwaiz detained ahead of proposed protest march
- Pakistan fans trolled Virat Kohli after Misbah-ul-Haq & Co dethroned India in ICC rankings
- 'A Flying Jatt' Box Office collections: Tiger Shroff-Jacqueline Fernandez starrer mints Rs 7.10 cr on opening day!
- It's terrible and awful - parents leave daughters to starve at Delhi home