CBI likely to approach Czech-based Tatra
New Delhi: The CBI is planning to approach Czech-based Tatra a.S to ascertain the reasons for supplying older technology based all-terrain vehicles to BEML even though it has better versions available.
Although the CBI has decided to send the query through Letters Rogatory (Letters of Request), the agency is also planning to send a team to Czech Republic to meet the executives of the company in this regard, sources in the agency said.
This is the first time the CBI will be approaching Original Equipment Manufacturer Tatra a.S in connection with the all terrain vehicle supply case even as it had questioned Vectra Chairman Ravinder Rishi and BEML officials repeatedly.
The CBI sources said no irregularity has surfaced on the part of Tatra a.S so far and neither the company is an accused in the case so there are no reasons to not cooperate in the probe.
The sources said despite clause of indigenisation and upgradation of technology in the original agreement signed with Tatra a.S, the indigenisation process remained way behind satisfactory levels.
They said the trucks which are now assembled by BEML and supplied to Indian Army have not performed well in higher altitude and despite red flags raised by Army several times, the PSU continued supplying older technology vehicles.
CBI sources said DRDO also procured vehicles from Tatra for its missile systems which fared much better than those procured by the Army through BEML.
The agency is probing alleged irregularities in assigning supply from the Czechoslovakia-based Tatra, with which the agreement was originally signed in 1986, to the Tatra-Sipox UK owned by Rishi in 1997 showing it as Original Equipment Manufacturer and the fully-owned subsidiary of the Czech company which was against rules, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth