Central assistance for fast-track courts to continue
New Delhi: Over 1,500 fast-track courts (FTCs) operating in various states will continue to get central assistance for another year, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs decided on Thursday.
The CCEA, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, approved the continuation of the scheme of central assistance for FTCs till March 31, 2011, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told reporters here.
A total of 1,562 FTCs are operating in various states and they would be provided Rs 4.80 lakh each for the fiscal 2010-11. A budgetary provision of Rs 75 crore has been made in
the budget for the current fiscal.
Based on the recommendations of the 11th Finance Commission, the Finance Ministry had sanctioned Rs 502.90 crore to set up 1,734 FTCs to expeditiously dispose of
long-pending cases in the sessions courts.
The FTCs were also mandated to look into cases relating to undertrials awaiting disposal of their cases.
According to an estimate, there are around three lakh undertrials languishing in 1,500 prisons of the country.
The scheme was for a period of five years beginning 2000. After the expiry of the scheme, government approved continuation of 1,562 FTCs that were operational for another five years -- till March 31, 2010 -- with a provision of Rs 509 crore.
According to Law Ministry, out of 35.02 lakh cases transferred to FTCs since their inception in the year 2000, 28.38 lakh cases have been disposed of so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25