Centre re-constitutes Scientific Advisory Council to PM
New Delhi: Mathematician Sujatha Ramadorai, geneticist B K Thelma, physicists Mutansir Barma and A K Sood are among the new entrants to the re-constituted Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (SAC-PM) which will
continue to be headed by top chemical scientist C N R Rao.
The apex advisory body on scientific matters will now have
32 members as against 28 earlier. They have been chosen to
cover a wide range of fields including government research
centres, academic institutions and the industry.
Former CSIR Director General R A Mashelkar, V K Singh,
Director of the Indian Institute of Science Education and
Research, Bhopal, D V Khakhar, Director of IIT-Powai and Venu
Srinivasan, Chairman and Managing Director of TVS Motor
Company are the other new members.
Earlier, Mashelkar was member of the body when he was
Director General of Council of Scientific and Industrial
Research (CSIR). He has been nominated to the new SAC-PM in
his individual capacity.
While Thelma Heads the Genetics Department of the Delhi
University, Sood is a physics professor at Indian Institute of
Science (IISc). Barma is the Director of Tata Institute of
Fundamental Research and Ramadorai is a professor of
mathematics at TIFR.
R Chidambaram, nuclear scientist and Chairman of the
Scientific Advisory Committee to the Cabinet, will also be a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre