Centre to regulate entry of foreign educational providers
Bandarsindari (Raj): Union HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Saturday said the Centre seeks to regulate the entry of foreign educational providers to ensure that only recognised providers have access to students in the country.
"Considering unprecedented expansion and changes in higher education sector, we seek to regulate the entry of foreign educational providers so that only reputed and recognised providers have access to our students," the Union HRD and Telecom minister Kapil Sibal said here.
"Accordingly, a legislative proposal for regulating the entry and operation of foreign institutions has been introduced in parliament," Sibal said at the convocation programme of Central University of Rajasthan here.
Higher education has long crossed national borders and now it is further increasing, the minister said.
"Transborder and distance education is further proliferating owing to emergence of low cost mobile computing devices and cloud-based computing," Sibal said.
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) and deployment of virtual reality and virtual words in education were some of the elements behind consideration of regulation of foreign education providers, he said.
The minister said that UGC has last month promulgated regulations for the promotion and maintenance of standards of academic collaboration between Indian and foreign educational institutions to safeguard the interests of students.
Union MoS for communications and IT, Sachin Pilot was also present in the function in which the students, who secured highest position in their respective programmes during the year 2009 and 2010, were felicitated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31