China refuses to declare Masood Azhar a terrorist
New Delhi: China has turned down India’s request to support its proposal at the United Nations Security Council to place sanctions on Jaish-e-Mohammad and declare its leader Maulana Masood Azhar a terrorist.
In a recent meeting in New Delhi on the subject between National Security Adviser MK Narayanan and Chinese State Councillor Dai Bingguo, the latter cited "technical" reasons for not supporting the ban on the Pakistan-based outfit.
India had asked China in mid-July to detail the reasons behind its decision to block the declaration. China had reportedly said that it had not seen all the information following which India provided detailed information about Masood Azhar which establish that he is a terrorist.
"We have shared with China the necessary information and our assessment about Masood Azhar," a source said but refused to specify whether the material was provided during the talks.
"India and China have similar concerns with regard to terrorism and we hope China will support the move to proscribe Masood Azhar by the UN Security Council," the source added.
India has already submitted detailed documents on the Jaish-e-Mohammad`s terrorist activities to the United Nations, which in turn has been circulated to other nations, including China.
Beijing, however, has been in denial mode about receiving the document.
China is the only country in the Security Council which is blocking sanctions on the Jaish and its chief Masood Azhar.
India is making efforts to get Masood Azhar along with LeT terrorists Azam Cheema and Abdur Rahman Makki banned by the Security Council in December last year.
Masood Azhar, founder of JeM outfit, is one of the three terrorists freed by India in exchange for hostages of Indian Airlines plane IC-814 which was hijacked in December 1999.
Britain had earlier joined China in blocking the move but agreed to support after India provided information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?