Chinese Defence Minister to visit India
Beijing: Chinese Defence Minister Liang Guanglie on Wednesday began a three-day Asian tour that will also take him to India.
Liang will be the first Chinese Defence Minister to visit New Delhi after March 2004, China Daily reported on Thursday.
He went to India in 2005 as the chief of general staff of the People`s Liberation Army.
Liang`s first halt will be Sri Lanka, from where he will travel to India on Sunday where he will spend three days before travelling to Laos.
Liang, heading a 23-member delegation that includes high-ranking members of the Chinese defence and military establishment, will meet Indian Defence Minister AK Antony.
Topics expected to be discussed include measures to maintain peace along the Sino-Indian border and confidence building between the armed forces of the two countries.
The two sides will also discuss measures to promote military cooperation between their armed forces.
"It is important for the countries to maintain regular visits of high-level military officials, develop bilateral military ties and improve mutual understanding," China Daily quoted Ding Hao, a researcher at the Beijing-based Academy of Military Sciences, as saying.
"Talks between the Defence Ministers should be held regularly. Such a mechanism will help reduce doubts and suspicion of one another, as well as increase transparency," added Sun Shihai, an expert on Indian studies at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
Sun said that India had shared interests and similar stances with China on many international and regional issues.
As the economic ties develop and the two neighbours seek to establish a border management mechanism, it was important for both to strengthen their military ties, Sun said.
"Without good communication and candid dialogue, military relations between China and India won`t be stable and fast moving," he said.
Liang`s visits to Sri Lanka and Laos will also improve communication and bring tranquility to the region, China Daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday