Chinese Defence Minister to visit India
Beijing: Chinese Defence Minister Liang Guanglie on Wednesday began a three-day Asian tour that will also take him to India.
Liang will be the first Chinese Defence Minister to visit New Delhi after March 2004, China Daily reported on Thursday.
He went to India in 2005 as the chief of general staff of the People`s Liberation Army.
Liang`s first halt will be Sri Lanka, from where he will travel to India on Sunday where he will spend three days before travelling to Laos.
Liang, heading a 23-member delegation that includes high-ranking members of the Chinese defence and military establishment, will meet Indian Defence Minister AK Antony.
Topics expected to be discussed include measures to maintain peace along the Sino-Indian border and confidence building between the armed forces of the two countries.
The two sides will also discuss measures to promote military cooperation between their armed forces.
"It is important for the countries to maintain regular visits of high-level military officials, develop bilateral military ties and improve mutual understanding," China Daily quoted Ding Hao, a researcher at the Beijing-based Academy of Military Sciences, as saying.
"Talks between the Defence Ministers should be held regularly. Such a mechanism will help reduce doubts and suspicion of one another, as well as increase transparency," added Sun Shihai, an expert on Indian studies at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
Sun said that India had shared interests and similar stances with China on many international and regional issues.
As the economic ties develop and the two neighbours seek to establish a border management mechanism, it was important for both to strengthen their military ties, Sun said.
"Without good communication and candid dialogue, military relations between China and India won`t be stable and fast moving," he said.
Liang`s visits to Sri Lanka and Laos will also improve communication and bring tranquility to the region, China Daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional