Chopper services during winters for remote areas in J&K: CM
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government on Friday said it has plans to introduce helicopter services to far flung areas which are cut off during winter due to heavy snowfall.
A comprehensive proposal has been sent to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs to operationalise helicopter services to far flung areas on the analogy of existing ispensation for the north-eastern states on wet-lease basis, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who also holds civil aviation portfolio, said in a written reply in the legislative Assembly here.
Responding to calling attention notice given by NC member Nazir Ahmad Gurezi on problems faced by people in various remote areas of Gurez constituency in want of air
eviction service during winters, Omar said Centre has been requested to fund the scheme to the extent of 75 per cent of the proposed cost.
"When the approval is conveyed by the Centre, process to operationalise the scheme will begin," he added. The Chief Minister said government intends to launch the helicopter service for the people living in difficult areas like Inshan, Navapachi and Paddar in Kishtwar district, Gurez and Tulail in Bandipora, Padam, Zanaskar and Lingshed in
Kargil, Tangdhar, Keran and Machil in Kupwara and Nubra valley in Leh district.
These areas usually remain cut off during winters due to heavy snowfall. He said the proposal to wet lease MI-172 helicopter to undertake the regular winter courier is with the Centre and state civil aviation department persuing it.
"Once the MI-172 wet lease is available, the demand will be met to the satisfaction of people living in geographically difficult areas, including Gurez," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar