Common man will not be affected due to Jat agitation: UP Gov
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government Friday
said that it will do the needful to ensure that common man
does not suffer due to the ongoing Jat agitation.
"We are aware of the problems being caused to people
especially common man. Chief Minister Mayawati has also
written a letter to Home Minister Friday for early solution of
the issue," Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh said
adding that as the matter pertains to demand of reservation,
which is in purview of the Centre, state could hardly do
anything to solve the problems of Jats.
Singh was speaking in a press conference called minutes
after Allahabad High Court`s directions to state and union
government to clear railway tracks as well and national
highways affected due to the Jat agitation.
"Till now Centre has held three meetings with Jat
leaders. We have no official information about that and
decision taken there...the state government is not aware
regarding these talks....The Centre should take us in
confidence on the issue..It`s a sensitive issue and we will do
the needful in this regard," Singh said.
Chief Minister Mayawati on March 10 supported the demand
of Jats and also appealed to them to take up the issue in
peaceful manner with the Centre and asked them not to resort
to ways that created problems, he added.
The agitation started on Mar 5 by Akhil Bhartiya Jat
Andolan Sangharsh Samiti (ABJASS) demanding reservation. Over
two thousand people blocked rail movement at Kafoorpur railway
station to press their demands, Singh said.
"Senior officers of Jyotibaphule Nagar, Ghaziabad had
talks with the Jat leaders but they did not relent", the
Cabinet Secretary said.
Narrating chronology, Singh said on March 8, a delegation
of Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) met Prime minister then on March
9 Union Cabinet Secretary met a delegation of Jat leaders and
on March 16 Union Home Minister met their delegation.
"Probably in these three meetings the issue of
reservation was discussed but the state government is not
aware of the developments", he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir