Concern in LS over missing kids, sexual harassment
New Delhi: Government Friday failed to give convincing replies in the Lok Sabha on steps being taken to deal with cases of missing children and sexual harassment leading to protests from opposition benches and demands for a separate discussion on these issues.
Opposition members sought to know from Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath about the steps being taken to deal with growing number of missing children. The minister said `Helpline 1098` can be used to register complaints or to report if they have found a missing child.
This made members ask as to what is being done in villages where there are no helplines.
Harsimrat Kaur (SAD) said there are a host of laws but the issue is that these are not being implemented.
Asked about the cases of sexual harassment of children in schools and other places, Tirath again said the same helpline can be used for registering complaints.
The minister maintained that National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) is involved in taking measures to deal with such cases.
Tirath said there are several laws in the country for protection of child rights.
"NCPCR ensures that all laws, policies, programmes and administrative mechanisms are in consonance with child rights perspective, enshrined in the Constitution of India and the Convention on the Rights of Child (CRC), to which India is a party," the minister said in a written reply.
Speaker Meira Kumar took note of the protests and said the members should send a notice for discussion on the rights of children and atrocities against them and she should allow a debate on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video