Cong appeals Opp to ensure smooth Parl session
New Delhi: With the opposition parties
closing ranks to raise the heat on price rise and other
issues, Congress on Friday appealed to them to allow smooth
functioning of Parliament to pass key bills including Lokpal.
"Parliament is for debate and discussion. We are ready
to discuss all issues. Many legislation important for people
of the country including Lokpal Bill and Judicial
Accountability Bill are being brought in this session.
"I urge all parties to allow smooth functioning of Lok
Sabha and Rajya Sabha during the winter session so that these
crucial bills can be passed," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi
told reporters here.
Maintaining that ensuring smooth functioning of
Parliament is "responsibility of all parties", Alvi urged the
Opposition to take a decision "rising above politics" in the
interest of the nation and the people.
The ruling party`s reaction came a day after the
Opposition parties indicated that the winter session starting
from November 22 is going to be a stormy one with CPI saying
that it will bring an adjournment motion to discuss
Government`s "failure" to implement the resolution adopted in
in the last session in Parliament to check spiralling prices.
While JDU-President and NDA convenor Sharad Yadav said
that all opposition parties will be united on the issue of
corruption, JP has said it will discuss a strategy for common
floor coordination with other parties during the session.
Government plans to take up 34 bills, while Opposition
wants discussion on around 45 issues during the session. They
include government`s move to introduce FDI in pension, caste
census, Telangana and recent developments in Indo-Pak ties
after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s SAARC visit.
The Monsoon session had failed to transact much business
despite heavy official agenda as opposition parties disrupted
proceeding over a range of issues, including Lokpal and 2G
The Winter Session last year was a total washout as a
determined opposition did not allow Parliament to run
demanding setting up of a Joint Parliamentary Committee to
probe the 2G scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’