Cong dares Modi to let an FIR be lodged against him
New Delhi: Ridiculing Narendra Modi`s remark that he should be hanged if found guilty in Godhra riots case, Congress on Thursday dared the Gujarat Chief Minister to allow an FIR to be lodged against him if he really wanted an investigation to proceed against him.
"If FIR has not been filed against the chief minister of the state for the last 12 years, how do you hold him guilty...Who is going to hang him," senior party leader Kapil Sibal told reporters here.
Sibal felt the statement given by Modi to an Urdu daily was made keeping the forthcoming Gujarat elections in mind.
"I was surprised to see the statement because you have to follow a procedure before being proved guilty...The statement has been given keeping the Gujarat elections in mind. The reality is justice was not delivered in this (1992 riots) case," he said.
Holding that there is no dearth of evidence in the matter, Sibal said Modi must, in the first place, make a statement that "I and no other agency will raise an objection if an FIR is lodged against me in any police station in Gujarat".
He regretted the fact that no FIR could be lodged against him despite the best efforts of the civil society groups.
Referring to a Supreme Court ruling, he said whenever a statement is made for the commission of a cognisable offence, FIR is mandatory. "But it does not seem to be mandatory in Modi`s case because civil society has been fighting for this...For an FIR so that an investigation could start," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report