Cong refrains from commenting on Kalmadi demand for JPC on CWG
New Delhi: Congress on Sunday steered clear of
commenting on party MP Suresh Kalmadi`s statement seeking a
Joint Parliamentary Committee probe into the entire CWG issue.
"We do not believe in commenting on ongoing criminal
proceedings," party spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi told
reporters when his reaction to Kalmadi`s statement was sought.
"Today no JPC exists. Nor have any terms of reference
been arrived at. Therefore, we cannot speculate. Let us not
comment before the event (announcement of JPC) happens", he
Kalmadi, who was sacked as the CWG Organising Committee
Chairman, today demanded a JPC probe into all issues relating
to the mega sporting event amid reports that CBI has tracked
an e-mail alleging that he got kickbacks.
In a statement on the eve of the start of the Budget
Session of Parliament, the embattled sports administrator said
he would resign as Member of Parliament in case any proof of
him having taken even a single rupee surfaces.
Kalmadi also said he was "deeply pained and constrained"
at the "malicious campaign" going against him regarding the
Delhi Commonwealth Games-2010.
"The stories going around are far from actual facts,"
Kalmadi, who is also the president of Indian Olympic
"Were the government to agree to constitution of a JPC
into the 2G Spectrum issue it would only be fair a similar
process of Joint Parliamentary Committee should go into the
entire range of issues connected with preparations, executions
and conduct of the Commonwealth Games," Kalmadi said in the
He added "...I am confident that this would enable the
entire truth to emerge in the public domain".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says